Business is one of the most important connections the United States holds with other countries. Our country welcomes international investors to bring their business prospects to the U.S. by providing visas to those who qualify.
For those seeking an immigrant investor-based visa, the EB-5 visa is a means of obtaining a green card while investing in an American business. In order to obtain one of these visas, one must be financially prepared to make an investment of at least $1 million, or $500,000 in areas deemed targeted for employment — meaning it is either in an area with high unemployment rates or is not located in a metropolitan area. There are four categories within this particular visa:
- C5: For investors in a business that is not located in a targeted area
- T5: For investors in a business that is located in a targeted area
- R5: For investors utilizing the Investor Pilot Program, which offers fewer restrictions in regards to job creation, for a business not in a targeted area
- I5: For investors utilizing the Investor Pilot Program, which offers fewer restrictions in regards to job creation, for a business that is located in a targeted area
In addition to the EB-5, there are also three non-immigrant options available to international investors that allow for United States investments.
- E-1 Treaty Trader Visa: Permits trade as long as it is predominantly between the U.S. and the investor’s home country, which must hold a treaty for trade with the U.S.
- E-2 Treaty Investor Visa: Permits an individual to create and oversee a U.S. company while not living within the U.S., as long as he or she has invested a significant amount of funds in that company and a treaty has been drawn up between the two countries allowing for such an action.
- L-1 Visa: Permits an individual to transfer to a U.S. branch of an international company and work there for up to seven years. While employed at the company, this person can legally reside in the U.S.
Before one can petition for an investor-based visa, it is essential to seek out an accomplished Miami immigration attorney. The professionals at Pimentel & Castillo have an in-depth understanding of the process of submitting a successful application, so that international entrepreneurs can thrive in the United States. From aiding clients in securing all of the necessary documents to determining the right visa for each individual’s situation, our team is committed to guiding our clients through every step of the process.